The aims of the Society
The SUT was founded to promote the further understanding of the underwater environment and to encourage:
- cross–fertilisation and dissemination of ideas, experience and information between workers in academic research, applied research and technology, industry and government
- development of techniques and tools to explore, study and exploit the oceans
- proper economic and sociological usage of resources in and beneath the oceans
- further education of scientists and technologists to maintain high standards in marine science and technology.
. . . and interests
The SUT considers all aspects of technology applied to:
- diving and manned submersibles
- environmental forces
- marine policy
- marine renewable energies
- ocean resources
- offshore site investigation and geotechnics
- salvage and decommissioning
- subsea engineering and operations
- underwater robotics
- underwater science
- underwater vehicles
For more information on the SUT’s interest areas, please visit the Special Interest Groups section of this website.
The SUT is a Limited Liability Company (Company number 932590) and a Registered Charity (Charities Commission number 256659) in England and Wales.
The SUT is also a Registered Charity in Scotland (Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator number SC043942).